GAUTENG CANOE UNION
Canoeing represents a multitude of paddle sports – from beginners to Olympic athletes with a range of disciplines to suit all goals.
The Gauteng Canoe Union is the second largest in terms of registered paddlers, and hosts a thriving long distance (LD) season, much of which is based on the many excellent training dams in the greater Gauteng area. In 2002, Gauteng and Northern Gauteng merged to form a single Union, known as the Gauteng Canoe Union.
The mission of the Gauteng Canoe union is to provide a canoeing environment that will produce canoeists from all communities with national, world championship and Olympic potential in all the various “disciplines” as well as satisfying the needs of all members for recreational canoeing.
The Gauteng Canoe Union is affiliated to Canoeing South Africa. The chairman of each of the representative provinces represents that province on the CSA executive Committee.
CSA is affiliated to SASCOC as well as the International Canoeing Federation who administers canoeing internationally.
CANOEING CODE OF CONDUCT
1. Keep off the banks of private landowners unless permission has been granted for access.
2. Maintain friendly relations with landowners and be polite at all times.
3. Do not litter. This includes removing boat wrecks which is the boat owners responsibility.
4. Where applicable, pay the required entrance fees.
5. Wear a life jacket and paddle in small groups.
6. Do not disturb the natural fauna and flora.
7. Paddlers should be registered with a club and GCU.
8. Exit from the river at prescribed points, or as requested by marshalls.
9. Always obey race marshals and officials instructions.
Two important committees manage the Union.
The Management Committee comprises of elected office bearers. These include the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer, Safety Officer, Race Administrator, Development Officer, Boat Master, School’s League Liaison Officer, PRO and Marathon, Sprint, Canoe Polo, Wild Water and Surf-Ski Convenors.
The function of the Management Committee is to see to the day-to-day affairs of the Union and to take operational decisions.
Chairman: Chad Andrews
Vice Chairman: Herman Vogel
Treasurer: Bryan Slater
Safety Officer: Grant Thiel
Race Administrator: Wayne Saunders
Development Officer: Chad Andrews
Boat Master: Vacant
School’s League: Jodie Dreyer
PRO: Jennie Dallas
The Management Committee is answerable to the Executive Committee which comprises of a representative from every club affiliated to the Gauteng Canoe Union.
The Union employs a permanent secretary to oversee the administrative duties.
The details are as follows:
Name: Rene Andrews
Tel/Fax: 083 267 7184
Postnet Suite 180
Private Bag x1
19 5th Street
GAUTENG TEAM COLOURS
The award of Gauteng Colours is a highly prestigious achievement for any member of the Union. They are held in high regard amongst the membership and nationally as a result of a very high standard that is attained in our province.
Twelve points need to be accumulated from performances and selection in National events.
Banking details GCU main account:
Gauteng Canoe Union
Nedbank Current Account 1975 023 617
Branch code 198 405
Banking details GCU race account:
Gauteng Canoe Union
Nedbank Current Account 1984 605 992
Branch code 198 405
REGISTERING WITH GCU/CSA
Our season runs from March to April every year. All members must be registered in order to paddle, whether as a social member or as normal member.
At the beginning of every season all existing members must re-register with their clubs. Please contact your club for the current registration form and payment details.
GCU registration form and indemnity form (only for arrangements with GCU directly):
2019 AFFILIATION FEES
2019-2020 RACE CALENDAR
RACE ENTRY PROCEDURES
Please contact the office on 083 267 7184 for further information.
Standard entry fees : R 90 per senior, R 50 per junior
- Race Entries close at 23h59 on the Thursday preceding the relevant weekend race. Late entries and on the day entries will be charged at an extra R50 per paddle. The race organisers might from time to time change the entry closing time to a specified time for that race. This will be communicated to the paddlers through the normal channels.
- No paddler will be allowed to race on the day if they are not registered with GCU AND must have completed their proficiency tests.
- New members must register in order to get a CSA number before any race.
If you enter after the entry deadline your entry will not be processed
USE OF GCU SURF SKI’S
In order to book a GCU surf ski please complete the forms below and send it to email@example.com together with your proof of payment. Once received, the office will book the ski/ski’s and send you the contact details for collection arrangements.