A STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR FIRST TIME RACERS / NOVICES
BASF WATUNI CANOE CLUB NOVICE RACE – SATURDAY 16 APRIL 2016 – AT 9AM
FIRST RIVER RACE OF THE 2016 / 2017 SEASON !!
ALL WELCOME to participate – not just novices!!
While the race is designated K2 all disciplines welcome – K1 / K3 ! Novices / Experienced – ALL welcome.
- START TIME – AT 9h00
- Start at The Makery – (ON the road just past Scout hall) -beautiful venue, enough parking space
- Coffee and Breakfast will be on sale
- K2 Novice race ie NOVICES IN K2’S WILL BE THE PRIZEWINNERS…….. ie 2 novices….
(We trust the experienced paddlers will be happy to let them have a chance to win the first early easy races of the season….)
Experienced paddlers are asked to be thoughtful and NOT to race TOO hard and TOO fast (they can’t win prizes anyway) AND they will make the CUT OFF too short for the novices following in their wake…..!!) HENCE the title – NOVICE race!!
But please do come along and encourage the newbies / offer advice and encouragement – we NEED YOU….!
- Prizes and hand-outs will be for novices – and this will be something special again.
- FINISH – at our infamous “Caravan Park” – although there are no more caravans there….!!! (Danie Maclean Park, Meyerton)
· NOVICES – PLEASE make SURE your boat crosses the FINISH LINE…..DONT get OUT before you have crossed and dont take TOO long to fiddle with your swim – GET into your boat and CROSS the finish line ASAP even if its sinking ….The FINISH LINE is in line with the gazebo where the timekeeper sits….! Your TIME will only be recorded ONCE you cross the finish line – so if you swim above that, and spend an hour emptying and getting back in – YOU LOSE OUT……
Standard race entry fee applies – R80 per paddle for Seniors and R50 per paddle for Juniors
Race Entries close at 23h59 on the Wednesday 13th April – preceding the relevant race (Weekend Race – 16 APRIL).
Late entries and on the day entries will be charged an extra R50 penalty per paddle and will be in the last batch as batches can’t be redone on the day to convenience the late entries…!
R50 will also be payable for last minute changes ie K1 to K2 / Partners changing etc for additional admin created.
Nedbank Randburg 198 405 Account number 1984 605 992
ADD these details to your profile for future easy payments!
Please send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF proof of payment is sent late, PLEASE ensure that you take it with to the race when you register as you will not be allowed to race if proof of payment has not been recorded…….or if the payment is late, you may pay on the day at registration……
- SA Maritime law requires BUOYANCY IN FRONT AND BACK OF BOAT……pound masters WILL check your boat….make SURE you DO have buoyancy……
- RACE NUMBERS on both sides of the boat in front of the cockpit – R5 per stick on number available at your club or at the race.
- Personal Flotation Device (Lifejacket ..?) Compulsory – make sure they fit properly and dont float around above your head when you swim!
- OBEY the designated marshalls.
- NON FINISHERS are obligated to REPORT their withdrawal to the race organiser or timekeeper / or marshalls. (So we dont send a search party to find you!)
RACE ADVICES: for firsttimers!
- LISTENING to the Pre Race Briefing IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED – for specific race rules / compulsory portages or other rules that may result in disqualification if you did not obey……
- Check your wingnuts on steering / bars/seats before the race as they tend to rattle lose while travelling on cars/trailers and you DONT need that problem in the rapids!
- DRESS warmly – rather than otherwise – newbies swim often, if the temperatures drop and wind comes up it can be unpleasant with risks of hypothermia….thermals / plastic overlays are a great help….if TOO Warm…you can always cool down in the river!
- KNOW THE CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER OF YOUR SECOND OR DRIVER – for emergencies! Marshalls could phone them for you BUT too many paddlers are “rescued” with broken boats and hypothermia and they DONT KNOW the contact number of the person they need to collect them which is on their phone which is not with them!
- IF problems on the river /boat repairs etc please stay visible on the river so the SWEEPS see you otherwise nobody knows where you are….in order to report your withdrawal.
- Duct tape/repair kit / spare paddle is advisable as these are frequently needed during races…..
- WRITE your name/number ON your paddle with TIPPEX – if lost, farmers / residents OFTEN find and are willing to return for a small reward saving you lots of money!
The following is the menu at the start venue next Saturday – You are welcome to contact her or myself to order in advance.
Please support the lady not only next week, but also in future. Other race organisers, please feel free to utilise this facility
Herewith short menu for Canoe Race.
Quick take away menu as follows:
A)Bacon, egg, and slice of Cheddar cheese on a toasted hamburger bun or in a wrap
Price R 25
B) Giant spinach and feta muffin topped with crispy onion bits.
Take away tea or coffee R10
Sit down breakfast for spectators:
A) 2 slices bacon,egg,mushrooms and grilled tomato with a slice of toast
B) Croissant with cheese and ham
C) Fresh fruit, yogurt and muesli
coffee or tea R10
cappuccino with foam or cream R15
These are special prices just for the people involved with the canoe race.
Angel Cakes and Catering
cell 084 529 9473
QUERIES: JAN LEONARD / WATUNI
083 680 5952