FURTHER to the white water presentation scheduled for tonight Weds 16 March – which can not take place at Emmarentia Dam
The ABC of White Water Kayaking
A brief guide by Jay Hyde.
Jay Hyde presents a consolidated guide to white water kayaking in Southern Africa, delivering advice gleaned from a couple of decades of white water river tripping. How to plan your trip, what to pack, how to pack, how to prepare for such a trip, what boat to choose, where to go given your level of experience, how to build experience, how to train for white water, and how to love it…
This is an invitation to an introduction of the spectacular joys of paddling the stunningly beautiful and challenging rivers of Southern Africa, as seen from the cockpit of a white water kayak. The presenter will map out how to achieve the skills required to bag the jewels of kayak altar pieces. You may want to paddle Celestial Falls, or just have the best experience you can on a river; its all up to you…
This course is for novices or racing kayakers who are ready to try white water in a real kayak. Racing kayakers who need to know more about reading white water will benefit from the section on how to read white water. Which are the best lines and why…
SESSION 1 (3-4 hours) WEDNESDAY 16th MARCH 2016 @ Dabs Clubhouse (18h00) – CANCELLED
- White water kayaks – which boat to use and why?
- Where and how to learn to paddle white water.
- Paddles, splash covers, life jackets, helmets and other kayaking gear.
- Basic kayaking strokes and skills.
- Reading white water.
SESSION 2 (5-6 hours) SATURDAY 9th APRIL 2016 @ Dabs Clubhouse and Emmarentia (10h00)
- Paddling various makes and models of white water kayaks (practical on the dam).
- Basic kayaking strokes and skills (practical on the dam).
- An introduction to the Eskimo roll.
- Recommended rivers to paddle for the beginner.
- River tripping.
Contact Jay Hyde to book (083 300 8675 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
~~~ PRESENTED FREE AS PART OF THE GCU DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE ~~~